World of Tanks is a popular game published by Wargaming Group Limited. In the game you will battle other players using the tanks you buy, fix, and upgrade. There are tanks from many countries and to get to the better tanks you will have to develop from the starting tanks. You can choose from Britain, China, Czech, France, Germany, Japan, Sweden, United States, or the USSR.
WoT’s Battle Pass: Season V of the game released on June 23rd. It is set to last until September 6th. The season has 3 chapters worth of content. It brings new commanders, challenges, skins, and more. In World of Tanks lag will make it harder to play in high pressure situations. Some of this will come from the game server, but most of the lag comes from your own connection to the game. In this post we will show you how to fix lag spikes and lower ping times with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, iOS, and Android on World of Tanks and the mobile version which is called World of Tanks Blitz.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in World of Tanks
Here is the quickest way to improve World of Tanks lag on PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch WoT and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does World of Tanks Lag?
The popularity of World of Tanks is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will play with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing World of Tanks. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in World of Tanks
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
World of Tank Server Locations
We found some WoT forums that discussed server locations. One user found that there are servers in the US, Europe, South America, and Asia/Australia.
Based off of this information we chose some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Washington DC, Chicago, Los Angles
- South America- Brazil
- Europe – Amsterdam, Frankfurt
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Sydney
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for World of Tanks. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game. You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
World of Tanks:
- Operating system – Windows 7, 8.0, 8.1, 10 or Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- Processor – 2GHz
- Memory – 2 GB RAM
- Video card – DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 256 MB RAM
World of Tanks:
- Operating system – Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 (64-bit)
- Processor – Intel Core i5-3330 or better
- Memory – 4 GB RAM
- Video card – GeForce GTX 660 (2GB) / Radeon HD 7850 2GB, DirectX 9.0c or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play World of Tanks with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN for reducing lag. It will help by allowing you to connect to any of the 160 different server locations across 94 countries. You will be able to reduce lag for practically any game you play online. All you have to do is connect to a location close to where your game is hosted. ExpressVPN allows you to reduce ping and make your overall experience better by allowing you full use of as much bandwidth as you need. You can easily change your location to play with others form around the world. You will also be able to have up to five connections active at a time. This will allow you to play a game in one location, while talking to friends under a different location on another device. ExpressVPN will help you reduce lag and unblock geo-restrictions.
ExpressVPN can help improve your ping and reduce lag in online games. It will also protect your data through encryption. ExpressVPN has an exclusive discount with our readers that you can take advantage of. You can get a full year of VPN for 49% off with an extra 3 months for free. You will be able to save on your favorite games. Unblock geo-restricted content and get around firewalls at work or school to play anywhere. ExpressVPN gives you a 30 day money back guarantee. You can test out the service for one month and see all the benefits it provides.