NBA 2K21 released on September 4th, 2020. The newest edition of the video game has brought back and improved on the MyCareer mode. It also includes the very popular MyTeam mode, NBA’s card collector game. This being said, NBA 2K21 has had issues with lag spikes and matchmaking errors.
While some of this comes from the server end, some of it is coming from your connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Xbox One, PS4, and Switch.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in NBA 2K21
Here is the quickest way to improve NBA 2K21 lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch NBA 2K21 and enjoy!
Want to fix NBA 2K21 lag on PS4, or is NBA 2K21 lagging on Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. They also have a YouTube video to help Nintendo Switch users get set up.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does NBA 2K21 Lag on PS4 or Xbox One?
The popularity of NBA 2K21 is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general on PS4 or Xbox One then you can expect lag spikes when playing NBA 2K21.
The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. Console players can use the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer service to help. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in NBA 2K21
WiFi networks are generally slower than a direct connection to your modem or router. I would recommend using a LAN cable to improve the speed is that’s an option for you. If that isn’t possible you may want to set a separate WiFi network for gaming or prioritize your traffic.
Want to see if the 2K servers are down or others are having issues? NBA2K has a page that show you when the servers for Steam, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch are having problems. It even gives you a breakdown for every game mode’s status. There is also Downdetector, where the community reports problems with 2k servers.
Otherwise, let’s look at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server.
Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Here are a few more tips to improve your 2k21 gameplay:
- Download the latest data to fix error EFEAB30C or 4B538E50
- Test lowering the screen resolution and overall quality of the graphics
- We suggest you set the NBA 2k21 game to run at 60 FPS or lower
- Moving from PS4 to PS4 Pro fixes a lot of micro stuttering issues
- Connect to a game server located close to your region for the best performance.
- Conduct a ping and traceroute test with and without a VPN connection
- Those gaming on PC will want to download the latest graphics card driver
- Ensure you do not have any other applications running in the background
NBA 2K21 Server Locations
2K have not released the server locations for their games. Despite this, we have found that they have servers in Europe and the United States. Based on this and other games, we chose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try.
Here are some fast VPN server locations to choose when playing NBA 2K21.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angles
- Europe- Frankfurt and London
- Asia Pacific – Tokyo
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for NBA 2K21. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7, 8.1, 10 64-bit or better
- Processor – Intel Core i5-4430 3 GHz, AMD FX-8370 3.4 GHz, or better
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB, AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB, or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play NBA 2K21 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our choice for fixing lag. All you will have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN has 160 server locations throughout the world for you to choose from. Gaming companies like Electronic Arts, Bethseda, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo use similar hosts. Some of the most popular hosts are Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS). ExpressVPN has servers located close to these data centers. This will give you a closer connection to the game and improve your experience. You will be able to reduce ping and fix lag by using ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN has an exciting exclusive discount of 49% off a year subscription of VPN with an extra 3 months for all our readers. You can play online with less lag and improved privacy. Take advantage of regional exclusives and play with friends internationally through the over 160 server locations. It is easy to use and available across a variety of devices. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. This gives you a full month to see how a VPN can help your gaming experience.