War Thunder is a free to play MMO where you battle on sea, land, and air with WWII era weaponry. Originally released in 2013, it is a regularly updated title that is fun to play. This includes planes, helicopters, tanks, and ships. The game has hundreds of vehicles to choose from with there own weapons. It also has 100 maps that represent the real life battle areas. The games main modes include PVP and PVE combat. The online multiplayer is competitive and fun. However, your experience can be hurt by lag. Some of this is due to the game server, but the rest is actually your own connection to the game server. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, Xbox One, PS5, and Xbox Series X.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in War Thunder
Here is the quickest way to improve War Thunder lag on PC, Mac, and Linux with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch War Thunder and enjoy!
Want to fix War Thunder lag on PS4 and PS5, or is War Thunder lagging on Xbox One and Xbox Series X? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X. They also have a YouTube video to help Nintendo Switch users get set up.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does War Thunder Lag on PS5 and Xbox Series X?
The popularity of War Thunder is both a blessing and a curse. You will compete against other players with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general on PS5 or Xbox Series X then you can expect lag spikes when playing War Thunder.
The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. Console players can use the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer service to help. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in War Thunder
War Thunder is available for both consoles and PC. both can benefit from improve speeds. This can be achieved by connecting your system through a LAN cable instead of WiFi. It is more reliable and produces faster speeds. Meanwhile, PC users can also reduce lag by making sure they have the proper equipment. I will go over this more in a later section.
Otherwise, let’s look at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server.
Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
War Thunder Server Locations
Gaijin Distribution KFT has not released the server provider they use to host the games. However, based on what players have found and the other companies, we can make recommendations on where to connect.
Here are some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Washington DC and Seattle
- Europe – London, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for War Thunder. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 or later (64-bit)
- CPU – Intel Core i5, Ryzen 5 3600, or better.
- Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 1060, Radeon RX 560, or better
- Memory – 16 GB
- Operating system – Catalina 10.15 or later
- CPU – Intel Core i7 or better.
- Video Card – Radeon Vega II or better
- Memory – 8 GB
- Operating system – Ubuntu 20.04 (64-bit) or later (64-bit)
- CPU – Intel Core i7 or better.
- Memory – 16 GB
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play War Thunder with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our best choice for reducing lag. Lag is every gamers worst enemy. Nothing sucks more than terribly high ping and a laggy game. Luckily this does not have to happen. You can reduce your ping and improve your experience by using ExpressVPN. All you have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN is one of the best companies to pick because it has server locations across over 94 cities. Whether you want to play on foreign servers or game in the US, ExpressVPN has you covered. Elite gamers will also be happy to know that ExpressVPN will keep them protected from DDoS attacks by hiding their true IP. You will be able to game with less lag safely.
ExpressVPN has an exciting exclusive discount of 49% off a year subscription of VPN with an extra 3 months for all our readers. You can play online with less lag and improved privacy. Take advantage of regional exclusives and play with friends internationally through the over 160 server locations. It is easy to use and available across a variety of devices. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. This gives you a full month to see how a VPN can help your gaming experience.