Unturned is a free to play zombie survivor game. The premise of the game is that you are one of the few people who have not changed. Now you and your friends must fight off the dead, survive against nature, create strongholds, interact with NPCs and other players, and explore large world in a variety of vehicles. There are many things to do in the game and the developers designed the game to be modded. The community has made some awesome additions to the game that are easy to add and fun to play. Servers can be crowded and the game is very popular. When playing Unturned online, you may experience lag. Sometimes this is caused by your own connection to the server. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, PS4, and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Unturned
Here is the quickest way to improve Unturned lag on PC or Mac with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Unturned and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on Xbox One or PS4? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Unturned Lag?
The popularity of Unturned is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Unturned. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Unturned
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Unturned Server Locations
In Unturned, players are allowed to host their own servers. There are also many servers that are located around the world. The key when selecting a location to connect to is seeing where the game is hosted. Then you select the server location closest to where the host lives. ExpressVPN has servers located throughout the world.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angeles
- Europe – London, Frankfurt, Paris, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Unturned. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 (64-bit) or better
- Processor – 4 Ghz or better
- Memory – 16 GB RAM or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Unturned with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is a great service for fixing lag. It helps by allowing you to change your IP address to one in a different region of the world. Your original IP will also be masked. This means that games that have IP banned your account can many times be played with a VPN. ExpressVPN has server locations in 94 countries around the world. You will also be able to take advantage of the special deals that are available in other regions of the world. Many company’s charge less for video games and DLCs in different countries. Brazil is one of the best places to connect to take advantage of this. ExpressVPN can help you change your IP and reduce lag.
ExpressVPN has an exciting exclusive discount of 49% off a year subscription of VPN with an extra 3 months for all our readers. You can play online with less lag and improved privacy. Take advantage of regional exclusives and play with friends internationally through the over 160 server locations. It is easy to use and available across a variety of devices. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. This gives you a full month to see how a VPN can help your gaming experience.