Team Fortress 2 is an old yet fun team shooter. It has been popular for many years and its due to the interesting character dynamics and the game play. Each character is unique and fits their own role on the team. Along with this, the game has many different cosmetics and items that you can get while playing. While some servers are more competitive, you’ll always be able to find that one server where people are just wanting to have a good time. In TF2 you are bound to experience some lag issues. While some of this comes from the server, the rest of it is from your own connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, and Xbox 360.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in TF2
Here is the quickest way to improve Team Fortress 2 lag on PC, Mac, and Linux with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch TF2 and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS3 or Xbox 360? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. They also have a YouTube video to help Nintendo Switch users get set up.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Team Fortress 2 Lag?
The popularity of Team Fortress 2 is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing TF2. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in TF2
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Team Fortress 2 Server Locations
Valve has not released the server locations they use for TF2. However we found a post on Reddit Releasing some of the locations. We found that they have servers in North America, Europe, and Asia Specific. We chose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try.
Here are some fast VPN server locations to choose when playing Team Fortress 2.
- United States- Washington DC
- Europe- Luxembourg and Stockholm
- Asia Pacific- India, Sydney, Singapore
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for The Isle. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7 (32/64-bit) or better
- Processor – Pentium 4 processor 3.0GHz or better
- Memory – 1 GB RAM
- Operating system – OS X version Leopard 10.5.8 or better
- Processor – 1.7 GHz Processor or better or better
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce 8 or higher, ATI X1600 or higher, Intel HD 3000, or better
- Memory – 1 GB RAM
- Operating system – Ubuntu 12.04 or better
- Processor – Dual core from Intel, AMD at 2.8 GHz, or better
- Video card – nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeon HD2600/3600 (Graphic Drivers: nVidia 310, AMD 12.11), OpenGL 2.1, or better
- Memory – 16 GB RAM
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Team Fortress 2 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN for reducing lag. It will help by allowing you to connect to any of the 160 different server locations across 94 countries. You will be able to reduce lag for practically any game you play online. All you have to do is connect to a location close to where your game is hosted. ExpressVPN allows you to reduce ping and make your overall experience better by allowing you full use of as much bandwidth as you need. You can easily change your location to play with others form around the world. You will also be able to have up to five connections active at a time. This will allow you to play a game in one location, while talking to friends under a different location on another device. ExpressVPN will help you reduce lag and unblock geo-restrictions.
ExpressVPN is an excellent service to use when gaming. They help you gain discounts and early access to new titles. ExpressVPN provides extra protection against DDoS attacks and reduces lag. All our readers will be happy to learn that we have an exclusive discount for you to use. ExpressVPN will give you 49% off a year of VPN and receive another 3 months of VPN for free. This is coupled with their 30 day money back guarantee so you can test out the service for a month and see how it can improve your online experience.