Rust is a online multiplayer survival game. It is a classic on Steam that has been gaining fans for years. The goal of the game is to survive. Whether you kill others, team up, or hide the decision is yours. People normally shoot on sight and defend their land well. The game is hard, but rewarding if you invest time into it. Not all servers are harsh, some are more inviting to new players. Rust is a game that has been around for a long time. The game has had problems with lag and slow connection. While some of the lag is comes from the server, some is caused by your own connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Rust
Here is the quickest way to improve Rust lag on PC, Mac, and Linux with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Rust and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Rust Lag?
The popularity of Rust is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Rust. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Rust
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Rust Server Locations
Rust have not released the server locations for their games. We do know that people will often host servers. You will want to connect to a location close to where the server is hosted. Based on this and other games, we chose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try.
Here are some fast VPN server locations to choose when playing Rust.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angeles
- Canada – Toronto or Montreal
- Europe – London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Seoul. Tokyo, Sydney, Chennai
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Rust. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game. You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
PC and Mac:
- Operating system – Windows 10 64-bit or OS X El Capitan 10.11
- Processor – Intel Core i7-4690K, AMD Ryzen 5 1600, or better
- Video card – GTX 980, AMD R9 Fury, or better
- Memory – 16 GB
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Rust with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our choice for fixing lag. All you will have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN has 160 server locations throughout the world for you to choose from. Gaming companies like Electronic Arts, Bethseda, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo use similar hosts. Some of the most popular hosts are Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS). ExpressVPN has servers located close to these data centers. This will give you a closer connection to the game and improve your experience. You will be able to reduce ping and fix lag by using ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN is an excellent service to use when gaming. They help you gain discounts and early access to new titles. ExpressVPN provides extra protection against DDoS attacks and reduces lag. All our readers will be happy to learn that we have an exclusive discount for you to use. ExpressVPN will give you 49% off a year of VPN and receive another 3 months of VPN for free. This is coupled with their 30 day money back guarantee so you can test out the service for a month and see how it can improve your online experience.