Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege was originally released on December 1, 2015 and is updated frequently. Year 6, Season 2 North Star is bringing some major changes R6. Pro League is bound to be interesting. The competitive online shooter has an active community that is kept in the game by the constant balancing and updates the R6 devs put in the game. There is always new content coming out like operators and maps. There is also major reworks that have refined the game. The gameplay is quite unique as you can lean and it has many destructible surfaces. Communication is key in Siege. You and your team will also need to work together to win. Lag is a common frustration felt by the community. The FPS stutters and rubberbanding can cost you games. Some of this lag is caused by the game servers, but other times this is due to your Internet connection and route to the server. In this post we will demonstrate how to fix lag with a VPN, with suggestions for PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS5, and Xbox Series X/S.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Rainbow Six Siege
Here is the quickest way to improve Rainbow Six Siege lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch R6 and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4, Xbox One, PS5, or Xbox Series X/S? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Rainbow Six Siege Lag?
The tight gameplay of Rainbow Six Siege is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will be competing against others with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing R6. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Rainbow Six Siege
Connecting your device to a LAN cable will help you achieve the fastest speeds possible. If that isn’t possible you may want to set a separate WiFi network for gaming or prioritize your traffic. Want to see the Rainbow Six Siege servers are down or others are having issues? You can check the status of the Ubisoft servers on Rainbow Six website. You can also look at Downdetector to see if others are having issues connecting to R6 servers.
Let’s continue by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Here are a few more tips to improve your gameplay:
- Make sure to install the latest game updates and patches
- Set the FPS limit to 60 or lower to fix FPS stutter issues
- Reduce lag spikes by setting texture quality, shadow quality, and reflection quality to low
- Console players should leave party chats and just use the games built in chat feature
- PC users should make sure they are running the latest driver for their graphics card
- PC players will also want to make sure no other apps are running in the background
For Rainbow Six Siege Locations
Ubisoft came out with a map of data centers for Rainbow Six Siege. This is great as the game servers are located very close to ExpressVPN’s servers.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angeles
- Europe – London, Frankfurt
- Asia Pacific -Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Rainbow Six Siege. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10, 8.1, or 7 SP1 (64-bit)
- Processor – Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8120 @ 3.1 Ghz or better
- Memory – 8 GB RAM
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 or better
- Video memory – 2 GB VRAM
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Rainbow Six Siege with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our best choice for reducing lag. Lag is every gamers worst enemy. Nothing sucks more than terribly high ping and a laggy game. Luckily this does not have to happen. You can reduce your ping and improve your experience by using ExpressVPN. All you have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN is one of the best companies to pick because it has server locations across over 94 cities. Whether you want to play on foreign servers or game in the US, ExpressVPN has you covered. Elite gamers will also be happy to know that ExpressVPN will keep them protected from DDoS attacks by hiding their true IP. You will be able to game with less lag safely.
ExpressVPN has an exciting discount that is only offered to our users. You will be able to get 49% off a year of VPN with an extra 3 months added for free. This means you will be able to use the VPN and MediaStreamer service for over a year. If you are not satisfied, ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Play online with less lag on PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, and more. You will also be able to take advantage of the service by using as much bandwidth as needed. I hope ExpressVPN improves your gaming experience