Path of Exile is a MMORPG created by Grinding Gear Games. You can play as multiple classes and your character can be customized in almost anyway to fit your game-style. You are an exile on the continent of Wraeclast. The game you have to fight to gain power and seek your ultimate revenge against the darkness. Since the game is very popular, you may experience lag. While some of this comes from the server, the rest of it is from your own connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Xbox One, and PS4.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Path of Exile
Here is the quickest way to improve Path of Exile lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Path of Exile and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Path of Exile Lag?
The popularity of Path of Exile is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Path of Exile. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Path of Exile
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Path of Exile Server Locations
Path of Exile’s server locations have not been released. We did find a website that predicted the locations of some server locations. Path of Exile announced additional Brazilian servers were being added. We chose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try.
Here are some fast VPN server locations to choose when playing Path of Exile.
- United States- Washington DC, Houston, and Los Angles
- Europe- Frankfurt, Amsterdam, and London
- South America- Brazil
- Asia Pacific- Australia
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Path of Exile. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7, 8, or 10 64-bit
- Processor – x86-compatible 2.6GHz or better
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti, ATI Radeon HD 7850, or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Path of Exile with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our pick for best VPN to reduce lag. It will allow you to improve your gaming experience on a variety of devices. You will be able to install an easy to use app for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch users can enhance their game play by using the ExpressVPN app on compatible routers or taking advantage of MediaStreamer. The MediaStreamer service is available for all ExpressVPN users and it works on many devices. It allows you to increase your speed even further. However, it does not give you the extra privacy protection a VPN will offer you. ExpressVPN will allow you to make your game faster on many devices.
We’re excited to share an exclusive discount on ExpressVPN for our readers. You can save up to 49% off a year of VPN and receive an extra 3 months of free VPN. Enjoy unlimited access to both their VPN network and MediaStreamer service. Save on your favorite games and reduce lag. Protect against DDoS attacks and unblock restrictions at school or work. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you will have a month to test their VPN and experience all the benefits of the service.