No Man’s Sky is an open world game created in 2016. The game has improved over the years and Hello Games has been updating it constantly with free DLC. This also includes VR support. The world of the game is procedurally generated. The players base can find all kinds of unique planets and lifeforms. There are billions of things to discover and everything is procedurally generated. Travel the galaxy and meet alien races in space. You can share your experience and findings with the community of invested No Man’s Sky players. You can play in online PvP and Co-op with friends in the game. Lag can hurt your experience and a lot of it is caused by your own connection to the sever. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS5, and Xbox Series X/S.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in No Man’s Sky
Here is the quickest way to improve No Man’s Sky lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch No Man’s Sky and enjoy!
Want to fix No Man’s Sky lag spikes on PS4, Xbox One, PS5, or Xbox Series X/S? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does No Man’s Sky Lag?
The popularity of No Man’s Sky is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing No Man’s Sky. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in No Man’s Sky
Both console and PC users can benefit from using a LAN cable. It is more reliable than connecting through your home network via WiFi. A LAN cable can also give you better speeds. We understand that this is not possible for all users, but just realize that using WiFi will reduce your speed to a degree.
No Man’s Sky Server Locations
Hello Games allows you to host and join multiplayer games. When this happens you will want to connect close to where the host lives. Meanwhile, when entering the Nexus Lobby in No Man’s Sky you are connecting to a sever. Hello Games has not released the server locations for these. However, people play the game internationally. Based off this we were able to choose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angeles
- Europe – London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for No Man’s Sky. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to be at or above these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7, 8.1, 10, (64-bit) or newer
- Processor – Intel Core i3 or better
- Memory – 8 GB RAM
- Video card – NVIDIA GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870, or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play No Man’s Sky with ExpressVPN
We recommend ExpressVPN for helping you reduce gaming lag. ExpressVPN is a privacy focused company that can help you multiple ways when gaming. The first way it helps is through allowing you to change your IP address. You can choose from any of 160 servers across 94 countries. ExpressVPN will give you a new IP from the region and mask your current one. This gives you extra protection from DDoS attacks. Another benefit is that it will unblock games not available in your region. Connecting closer to the server you play on will give you a shorter route and often times a faster gaming experience.
ExpressVPN is an excellent service to use when gaming. They help you gain discounts and early access to new titles. ExpressVPN provides extra protection against DDoS attacks and reduces lag. All our readers will be happy to learn that we have an exclusive discount for you to use. ExpressVPN will give you 49% off a year of VPN and receive another 3 months of VPN for free. This is coupled with their 30 day money back guarantee so you can test out the service for a month and see how it can improve your online experience.