League of Legends (also known as LoL)is the biggest MOBA in the world. This popular Esport is very competitive. LoL has hit the mainstream through its great gamplay and interesting heroes. Each character has their own unique backstories that connect to the deeper lore of the game. Riot Games has gone as far as giving the heroes’ different skins and their own stories. For example, K/DA, a fictional League of Legends music group that has put out music that you can actually listen to, was created as a result of four new skins in the game. There are a lot of fans that play this game daily. Because of the number of players on the servers, there is bound to be lag. While some of it comes from the game servers, most of the lag is actually caused by the users own connection to the game server. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag in League of Legends with a VPN.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in League of Legends
Here is the quickest way to improve LoL lag on PC and Mac VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch League of Legends and enjoy!
You can also use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer service for a faster experience.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your system.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your system to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does League of Legends Lag?
The popularity of League of Legends has led to lag issues. As we mentioned, you will compete against other players with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing LoL. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in League of Legends
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
League of Legends Server Locations
Riot Games has released some of the League of Legends server locations. This is great as LoL servers are located very close to ExpressVPN’s servers.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Los Angeles, Miami, and Chicago
- Europe – Frankfurt, Amsterdam, and Turkey
- Asia Pacific – Sydney, Tokyo, Singapore, and South Korea
- South America – Brazil and Chile
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for League of Legends. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
- Processor – 3 Ghz
- Memory – 2 GB RAM
- Video card – Nvidia GeForce 8800 or AMD Radeon HD 5670 or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play League of Legends with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our best choice for reducing lag. Lag is every gamers worst enemy. Nothing sucks more than terribly high ping and a laggy game. Luckily this does not have to happen. You can reduce your ping and improve your experience by using ExpressVPN. All you have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN is one of the best companies to pick because it has server locations across over 94 cities. Whether you want to play on foreign servers or game in the US, ExpressVPN has you covered. Elite gamers will also be happy to know that ExpressVPN will keep them protected from DDoS attacks by hiding their true IP. You will be able to game with less lag safely.
ExpressVPN has an exciting exclusive discount of 49% off a year subscription of VPN with an extra 3 months for all our readers. You can play online with less lag and improved privacy. Take advantage of regional exclusives and play with friends internationally through the over 160 server locations. It is easy to use and available across a variety of devices. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. This gives you a full month to see how a VPN can help your gaming experience.