Heroes of the Storm is a MOBA created in 2015. HotS consists of 5 vs 5 matches where each person plays as a specific hero. The game brings popular characters from many Blizzard IPs to serve as the heroes. Each plays a very specific role and finding a good synergy is important. The battlefield that each match uses are from popular series like Warcraft, Diablo, StarCraft, and Overwatch. One common problem with this game is lag. Since HotS requires a great amount of teamwork, spikes in ping and delayed input can lead to drastic problems. While some of the issue is caused by the server, the rest comes from your own connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC and Mac.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Heroes of the Storm
Here is the quickest way to improve Heroes of the Storm lag on PC and Mac with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Heroes of the Storm and enjoy!
You can also use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer service for a faster experience.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your system.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your system to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does HotS Lag?
The popularity of HotS is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will compete against other players with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Heroes of the Storm. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Heroes of the Storm
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
HotS Server Locations
Blizzard has not released the server it hosts the game on. However, there are some users on Reddit that have found servers in Seattle and Australia. Based on this and what region you want to play in, we have made some recommendations.
Here are some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Washington DC and Seattle
- Canada – Toronto or Montreal
- Europe – London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Seoul. Tokyo, Sydney, Chennai
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Heroes of the Storm. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Processor – Intel® Core i5, AMD FX Series Processor, better
- Memory – 4 GB RAM
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, AMD Radeon HD 7790, or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Heroes of the Storm with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN to fix lag. They allow you to receive a superior gaming experience by reducing ping and protecting your information. You will be able to connect to any of the server locations in 94 countries. ExpressVPN allows you to be closer to your game server and lowers the latency. It will do so while protecting your IP address. You will appear as if you are actually from the location you are connecting to. It gives you a kill switch and protects against DDoS attacks, while playing. You can reduce lag and play safer with ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN has an exciting discount that is only offered to our users. You will be able to get 49% off a year of VPN with an extra 3 months added for free. This means you will be able to use the VPN and MediaStreamer service for over a year. If you are not satisfied, ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Play online with less lag on PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, and more. You will also be able to take advantage of the service by using as much bandwidth as needed. I hope ExpressVPN improves your gaming experience