Halo: Reach was released on December 3, 2019. This DLC for the Halo: The Master Chief Collection brings the game to PC for the first time. Halo: Reach has been updated to support 4K graphics for the newest generation of consoles and PC players. It has also been said to run at 60 frames per second or higher at top performance. However, due to the releases popularity, servers have been getting slammed with traffic. You are bound to experience lag. While some of this is caused by the game server, the rest is actually a result of your own connection to it. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN, including suggestions for PC and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Halo: Reach
Here is the quickest way to improve Halo: Reach lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Halo: Reach and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. They also have a YouTube video to help Nintendo Switch users get set up.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Halo: Reach Lag?
The popularity of Halo: Reach is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will compete against other players with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Halo: Reach. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Halo: Reach
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Halo: Reach Server Locations
Xbox Game Studios’s hosts Halo: The Master Chief Collection using Microsoft Azure. We think that Halo: Reach is also using the same server provider. This excellent because ExpressVPN has servers that are close to where the game is hosted. We can recommend specific VPN servers locations based on the region you wish to play in.
Here are some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angeles
- Canada – Toronto
- Europe – London, Frankfurt, Paris
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Mumbai, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Halo: Reach. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 or later (64-bit)
- CPU – AMD FX-4100, Intel i7-870, or better.
- Video Card – AMD Radeon R7 360, NVIDIA GTX 560 TI, or better
- Memory – 20 GB RAM
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Halo: Reach with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our best choice for reducing lag. Lag is every gamers worst enemy. Nothing sucks more than terribly high ping and a laggy game. Luckily this does not have to happen. You can reduce your ping and improve your experience by using ExpressVPN. All you have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN is one of the best companies to pick because it has server locations across over 94 cities. Whether you want to play on foreign servers or game in the US, ExpressVPN has you covered. Elite gamers will also be happy to know that ExpressVPN will keep them protected from DDoS attacks by hiding their true IP. You will be able to game with less lag safely.
ExpressVPN is an excellent service to use when gaming. They help you gain discounts and early access to new titles. ExpressVPN provides extra protection against DDoS attacks and reduces lag. All our readers will be happy to learn that we have an exclusive discount for you to use. ExpressVPN will give you 49% off a year of VPN and receive another 3 months of VPN for free. This is coupled with their 30 day money back guarantee so you can test out the service for a month and see how it can improve your online experience.