Halo 4 sees Master Chief return to beat evil. After becoming shipwrecked, you must explore multiple levels to find out more about the planet and find a way home. Halo 4 released as a part of the Master Chief Collection on November 16th, 2020. This was its first appearance on PC. The game comes with 25 more multiplayer maps and all the new armor and weapons. Some of the most fun can be had when playing against and with others online in Halo. However, your experience can easily be ruined by lag. It makes it to properly help your team through a gunfight. Much of Halo 4’s lagging comes from the server, however rest is caused by your own connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Halo 4
Here is the quickest way to improve Halo 4 lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Halo 4 and enjoy!
Want to fix Halo 4 lag on Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Halo 4 Lag?
The popularity of Halo franchise is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Halo 4. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Halo 4
Those who play on PC will want to first check your system to see if it is performing properly. I will later talk about the recommended specs for Halo 4 in the Master Chief Collection. Meanwhile, all gamers could benefit from connecting your system through a LAN cable instead of WiFi. It is more stable and will give you faster speeds, but I understand that this is not possible for all people.
Let’s look at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Halo 4 Server Locations
Microsoft Azure is an online service that is used by Xbox Games Studios that hosts the Master Chief Collection. This excellent because ExpressVPN has servers that are close to where the game is hosted. We can recommend specific VPN servers locations based on the region you wish to play in.
Here are some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angeles
- Canada – Toronto
- Europe – London, Frankfurt, Paris
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Mumbai, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Halo 4. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to be above these minimum system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7 (64-bits)
- Processor – Intel Core i7-975 or AMD A12-9800 APU
- Memory – 2 GB RAM
- Video card – GeForce GTS 450 or Radeon R7 Graphics
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Halo 4 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our pick for best VPN to reduce lag. It will allow you to improve your gaming experience on a variety of devices. You will be able to install an easy to use app for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch users can enhance their game play by using the ExpressVPN app on compatible routers or taking advantage of MediaStreamer. The MediaStreamer service is available for all ExpressVPN users and it works on many devices. It allows you to increase your speed even further. However, it does not give you the extra privacy protection a VPN will offer you. ExpressVPN will allow you to make your game faster on many devices.
ExpressVPN can help improve your ping and reduce lag in online games. It will also protect your data through encryption. ExpressVPN has an exclusive discount with our readers that you can take advantage of. You can get a full year of VPN for 49% off with an extra 3 months for free. You will be able to save on your favorite games. Unblock geo-restricted content and get around firewalls at work or school to play anywhere. ExpressVPN gives you a 30 day money back guarantee. You can test out the service for one month and see all the benefits it provides.