Grand Theft Auto 5 is a giant sandbox game put out by Rockstar Games. This game has a massive single player mode in which you play as three main characters. Once you have the hang of the game you can go online. In this mode you will team up with others to commit crimes, create syndicates, race, and even more. On GTA Online there is some lag that will make it harder to play in high pressure situations. Some of this will come from the game server, but most of the lag comes from your own connection to the game. In this post we will show you how to fix lag spikes and lower ping times with a VPN, with suggestions for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in GTA 5
Here is the quickest way to improve Grand Theft Auto 5 lag on PC.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch GTA V and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Grand Theft Auto V Lag?
The popularity of GTA V is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will play with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing GTA 5. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in GTA 5
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Grand Theft Auto 5 Server Locations
Rockstar Games has not released any of the server locations for GTA. We did find a GTA forum that discussed this issue. One user found that there are servers in the US, Europe and Asia/Australia. Another thought they had a server in New York, where their headquarters is located.
Based off of this information we chose some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Washington DC, New York, Los Angeles
- Europe – London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, Sydney, Chennai
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Grand Theft Auto 5. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 64 Bit, Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
- Processor – Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHz (4 CPUs) or AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHz (8 CPUs) or better
- Memory – 8 GB RAM
- Video card – NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB or AMD HD 7870 2GB or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play GTA 5 Online with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our choice for fixing lag. All you will have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN has 160 server locations throughout the world for you to choose from. Gaming companies like Electronic Arts, Bethseda, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo use similar hosts. Some of the most popular hosts are Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS). ExpressVPN has servers located close to these data centers. This will give you a closer connection to the game and improve your experience. You will be able to reduce ping and fix lag by using ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN has an exciting discount that is only offered to our users. You will be able to get 49% off a year of VPN with an extra 3 months added for free. This means you will be able to use the VPN and MediaStreamer service for over a year. If you are not satisfied, ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Play online with less lag on PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, and more. You will also be able to take advantage of the service by using as much bandwidth as needed. I hope ExpressVPN improves your gaming experience