Gears 5 is a new title published by Xbox Gaming Studios. The game is planned to be be released on September 10, 2019 for Xbox One and PC. The sixth game in the Gears of War series is adding a new campaign along with many different online game modes. Lag can be a common problem to those playing online shooters. it will often cause you to miss your shots or not even see people as they teleport across the screen. While some of the lag comes from the server end, some of it is coming from your connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, and PS4.
Why Does Gears 5 Lag?
The popularity of Gears 5 is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Gears 5. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Gears 5
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Here is the quickest way to improve Gears 5 lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Gears 5 and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Gears 5 Server Locations
Xbox Gaming Studios’ server locations have not been released. From research we have found out that there are thousands of servers around the world. Based off this information we chose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try. Here are some fast VPN server locations to choose when playing Gears 5. Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angles
- Europe- Frankfurt and London
- Asia Pacific – Tokyo, Singapore, or Sydney
More Tips to Reduce Lag in Gears 5
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Gears 5. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game. You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor – Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 2200G or better
- Video card – AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Gears 5 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN for gaming. There are a number of reasons including the ability to quickly change you’re IP address to be located in any of 160 cities across 94 countries. This is especially useful for purchasing games in other regions and unblocking restrictions. If you plan to play games at school or work then we highly recommend connecting to ExpressVPN to unblock any firewall restrictions. You can download the ExpressVPN app for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. Members can install the app on as many devices as you want. You can connect on up to 3 devices at a time. You will also have access to ExpressVPN MediaStreamer service which will let you switch DNS on a wide range of devices including game consoles (PS4, Xbox One, Switch), streaming media boxes, and smart TVs, and more.We’re excited to share an exclusive discount on ExpressVPN for our readers. You can save up to 49% off a year of VPN and receive an extra 3 months of free VPN. This will grant you unlimited access to both their VPN network and MediaStreamer service. Save on your favorite games, reduce lag, protect against DDoS attacks, and unblock restrictions at school or work. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you will have a month to test their VPN and experience all the benefits of the service.