For Honor is a game put out by Ubisoft on February 14th, 2017. The game puts ancient fighters against one another as the community chooses which faction is the best. The base game had the vikings, knights, and samurai as its factions. They also came with the classes heavies, assassin, vanguards, and hybrids. In each game you will fight online in a duel or as a team. You fight for the faction you represent and your performance will help the team overall. For Honor is very competitive and inputs must be precise. In For Honor lag is a killer. It can make or break the game depending on where you are when it kicks in. Some of this lag is caused by the game servers, but other times this is due to your Internet connection and route to the server. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in For Honor
Here is the quickest way to improve For Honor lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch For Honor and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does For Honor Lag?
The tight gameplay of For Honor is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will be competing against others with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing For Honor. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in For Honor
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
For Honor Server Locations
Ubisoft appears to use Amazon Web Services (AWS) to host For Honor servers. This is great as AWS servers are located very close to ExpressVPN’s servers.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Seattle
- Europe – London, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for For Honor. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10, 8, or 7 (64-bit)
- Processor – Core i5-2500k or AMD FX-6350
- Memory – 8 GB RAM
- Video card – Nvidia Geforce GTX770, GTX970, or GTX1060. AMD Radeon R9 280X or higher
- Video memory – 3 GB VRAM
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play For Honor with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our pick for best VPN to reduce lag. It will allow you to improve your gaming experience on a variety of devices. You will be able to install an easy to use app for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch users can enhance their game play by using the ExpressVPN app on compatible routers or taking advantage of MediaStreamer. The MediaStreamer service is available for all ExpressVPN users and it works on many devices. It allows you to increase your speed even further. However, it does not give you the extra privacy protection a VPN will offer you. ExpressVPN will allow you to make your game faster on many devices.
ExpressVPN can help improve your ping and reduce lag in online games. It will also protect your data through encryption. ExpressVPN has an exclusive discount with our readers that you can take advantage of. You can get a full year of VPN for 49% off with an extra 3 months for free. You will be able to save on your favorite games. Unblock geo-restricted content and get around firewalls at work or school to play anywhere. ExpressVPN gives you a 30 day money back guarantee. You can test out the service for one month and see all the benefits it provides.