Fallout 76 is an online first person shooter produced by Bethesda. It had a very rocky start, but the game has been recovering. It is getting new updates and even a battle royale mode. Fallout 76 has a huge problem with lag spikes. You will be playing and then the graphics will go down or things will start teleportation. Some of the lag you may be experiencing will come from their end, but the rest of it will come from your connection to the gaming server. In this post we will show you how to fix lag spikes and lower ping times with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Fallout 76
Here is the quickest way to improve Fallout 76 lag on PC.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Fallout 76 and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Fallout 76 Lag?
The popularity of Fallout 76 is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will play with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Fallout 76. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Fallout 76
First check your system and make sure that everything looks good. PC gamers might want to disable antivirus protection or firewall settings just long enough to see if it’s causing issues. If so we suggest testing Sophos antivirus as it works well for us. If you aren’t already connecting via LAN cable we suggest you give it a try as WiFi connections can be slower and unstable at times. I understand that’s not possible for a lot of console players. In that case you will want to check the status of Fallout 76 game servers through the Bethesda.net status portal. You can also check the Fallout Twitter account for updates from the developer or Downdetector to see if others are reporting issues.
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Fallout 76 Server Locations
Bethesda appears to use Amazon Web Services (AWS) to host Fallout 76. This is great as AWS servers are located very close to ExpressVPN’s servers.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Seattle
- Europe – London, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Fallout 76. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7 64-bit or better
- Processor – Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5 GHz or better
- Memory – 8 GB RAM
- Video card – Nvidia GTX 970 4GB or AMD R9 290X 4GB or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Fallout 76 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN for reducing lag. It will help by allowing you to connect to any of the 160 different server locations across 94 countries. You will be able to reduce lag for practically any game you play online. All you have to do is connect to a location close to where your game is hosted. ExpressVPN allows you to reduce ping and make your overall experience better by allowing you full use of as much bandwidth as you need. You can easily change your location to play with others form around the world. You will also be able to have up to five connections active at a time. This will allow you to play a game in one location, while talking to friends under a different location on another device. ExpressVPN will help you reduce lag and unblock geo-restrictions.
ExpressVPN can help improve your ping and reduce lag in online games. It will also protect your data through encryption. ExpressVPN has an exclusive discount with our readers that you can take advantage of. You can get a full year of VPN for 49% off with an extra 3 months for free. You will be able to save on your favorite games. Unblock geo-restricted content and get around firewalls at work or school to play anywhere. ExpressVPN gives you a 30 day money back guarantee. You can test out the service for one month and see all the benefits it provides.