Elder Scrolls Online is a MMORPG published by Bethesda. There is a lot of content in the game to go through. Late and early game is fun because of the unique combat that ESO has. With many expansions and a great fan base the game has garnered attention. You will see many people on the servers while you are out questing. Elder Scrolls Online is one of Bethesda’s first online games and as a result there has been some lag problems. Some of the lag you may be experiencing will come from their end, but the rest of it will come from your connection to the gaming server. In this post we will show you how to fix lag spikes and lower ping times with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, and Google Stadia.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in ESO
Here is the quickest way to improve Elder Scrolls Online lag on PC or Mac.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch ESO and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4, Xbox One, or Google Stadia? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Elder Scrolls Online Lag?
The popularity of Elder Scrolls Online is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will play with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing ESO. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in ESO
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Elder Scrolls Online Server Locations
Elder Scrolls Online has a few servers in the United States and the European Union that have been theorized online. Players have figured out that there are servers in Texas, Maryland, and Frankfurt. This is good because ExpressVPN has locations near these severs.
Here are some of the faster VPN locations to connect to when playing ESO.
- United States – Washington DC and Dallas
- Europe – Frankfurt
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Elder Scrolls Online. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7 64-bit or better
- Processor – Intel Core i5 2300 or AMD FX4350
- Memory – 8 GB RAM
- Video card – Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 2GB RAM or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Elder Scrolls Online with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our pick for best VPN to reduce lag. It will allow you to improve your gaming experience on a variety of devices. You will be able to install an easy to use app for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch users can enhance their game play by using the ExpressVPN app on compatible routers or taking advantage of MediaStreamer. The MediaStreamer service is available for all ExpressVPN users and it works on many devices. It allows you to increase your speed even further. However, it does not give you the extra privacy protection a VPN will offer you. ExpressVPN will allow you to make your game faster on many devices.
We’re excited to share an exclusive discount on ExpressVPN for our readers. You can save up to 49% off a year of VPN and receive an extra 3 months of free VPN. Enjoy unlimited access to both their VPN network and MediaStreamer service. Save on your favorite games and reduce lag. Protect against DDoS attacks and unblock restrictions at school or work. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you will have a month to test their VPN and experience all the benefits of the service.