Dota 2 is Valve’s MOBA. It has made its way in Esports and has been building in popularity. It is a very competitive game with over 100 viable heroes to choose from. Every person can find a character to use and be comforted in knowing that they are a viable choice in game. Some heroes are better than others, but the devs constantly release patches to balance the game and keep their characters viable. Dota 2 has millions of players on its servers. Because of this lag can be an issue. Server lag is only part of the problem, most of it comes from your connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, and Linux.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Dota 2
Here is the quickest way to improve Dota 2 Online lag on PC, Mac, and Linux.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Dota 2 and enjoy!
You can also use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer service for a faster experience.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your system.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your system to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Dota 2 Lag?
The popularity of Dota 2 is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Dota 2. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Dota 2
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Dota 2 Server Locations
Dota 2 servers have been found out by a user on Reddit. Based off these server locations we can recommend better game locations.
Here are some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Washington DC and Seattle
- Europe – Luxembourg, Austria, Sweden
- Asia Pacific – Sydney, Singapore, and India
- South America – Chile and Peru
- Africa- South Africa
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Dota 2. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7 or newer
- Processor – Dual core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz or better
- Memory – 4 GB RAM
- Video card – nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeon HD2600/3600, or better
- Sound card – DirectX Compatible
Mac OS X:
- Operating system – OS X Mavericks 10.9 or newer
- Processor – Dual core from Intel or better
- Memory – 4 GB RAM
- Video card – nVidia 320M, Radeon HD 2400, Intel HD 3000, or better
SteamOS and Linux:
- Operating system – Ubuntu 12.04 or newer
- Processor – Dual core from Intel, AMD at 2.8 GHz, or better
- Memory – 4 GB RAM
- Video card – nVidia Geforce 8600/9600GT (Driver v331), AMD HD 2xxx-4xxx (Driver mesa 10.5.9), AMD HD 5xxx+ (Driver mesa 10.5.9 or Catalyst 15.7), Intel HD 3000 (Driver mesa 10.6), or better
- Sound card – OpenAL Compatible Sound Card
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Dota 2 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN for reducing lag. It will help by allowing you to connect to any of the 160 different server locations across 94 countries. You will be able to reduce lag for practically any game you play online. All you have to do is connect to a location close to where your game is hosted. ExpressVPN allows you to reduce ping and make your overall experience better by allowing you full use of as much bandwidth as you need. You can easily change your location to play with others form around the world. You will also be able to have up to five connections active at a time. This will allow you to play a game in one location, while talking to friends under a different location on another device. ExpressVPN will help you reduce lag and unblock geo-restrictions.
We’re excited to share an exclusive discount on ExpressVPN for our readers. You can save up to 49% off a year of VPN and receive an extra 3 months of free VPN. Enjoy unlimited access to both their VPN network and MediaStreamer service. Save on your favorite games and reduce lag. Protect against DDoS attacks and unblock restrictions at school or work. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you will have a month to test their VPN and experience all the benefits of the service.