Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 is a shooter that came out on March 15, 2019. The company massive entertainment developed the game and Ubisoft published it. In it you are able to play in one of three game modes campaign, Co-op, PVP. You will also explore dark zones, which are unique areas of Washington D.C. You will have to take on the environment as well as other players to survive them. As for straight up pvp, you can play in a skirmish mode that is equivalent to a Team Deathmatch. The game is extremely fun to play, but lad can ruin your experience. Some of this is due to the server, but the rest comes from your own connection to the game. In this post we will show you how to fix lag spikes and lower ping times with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, PS4, and Xbox One devices.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
Here is the quickest way to improve Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch The Division 2 and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. They also have a YouTube video to help Nintendo Switch users get set up.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does The Division Lag?
The popularity of The Division 2 is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will compete against other players with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing The Division 2. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in The Division 2
A LAN cable will give you the fastest speeds, so try to connect your device to it if possible. You may want to set a separate WiFi network for gaming or prioritize your traffic, if you cannot. Want to see the Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 servers are down or others are having issues? You can check up with The Divison 2 Twitter. You can also look at Downdetector to see if other users are having issues connecting to The Division 2 servers.
Let’s continue by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers
Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 Server Locations
Ubisoft has not released the server locations for Tom Clancy’s The Division 2. However, Reddit users have found they have data centers in the Americas, Europe, and Australia. This is great as ExpressVPN has servers located globally.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angeles
- Canada – Toronto or Montreal
- Europe – London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Seoul. Tokyo, Sydney, Chennai
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for The Division 2. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10, 8, or 7
- Processor – AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Intel Core I9-7900X, or better
- Memory – 16 GB RAM
- Video card – AMD Radeon VII, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 TI, or better
- Video memory – 11 GB VRAM
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play The Division 2 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN to fix lag. They allow you to receive a superior gaming experience by reducing ping and protecting your information. You will be able to connect to any of the server locations in 94 countries. ExpressVPN allows you to be closer to your game server and lowers the latency. It will do so while protecting your IP address. You will appear as if you are actually from the location you are connecting to. It gives you a kill switch and protects against DDoS attacks, while playing. You can reduce lag and play safer with ExpressVPN.
We’re excited to share an exclusive discount on ExpressVPN for our readers. You can save up to 49% off a year of VPN and receive an extra 3 months of free VPN. Enjoy unlimited access to both their VPN network and MediaStreamer service. Save on your favorite games and reduce lag. Protect against DDoS attacks and unblock restrictions at school or work. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you will have a month to test their VPN and experience all the benefits of the service.