Dirt 5 is a fun racing game published by Electronic Arts. There are over 20 iconic vehicles to drive including 80s and 90s Rally cars. The game offers a variety of modes that allow you to play competitively or casually. There is Career, Arcade, Time Trial, Playgrounds, and Multiplayer. Dirt 5 has improved its online gameplay with a variety of party modes to experience and classic 12 player head to head matches. There 10 locations from throughout the world to race at. There are many events to participate in like truck, buggie, or rally races. There are also options for playing in personal lobbies.
One frustration when playing online is lag. It can hinder your ability to drive and can slow you down at critical moments. Some of this is caused by the server you are playing on, but the rest comes from your own connection. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, or Stadia.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Dirt 5
Here is the quickest way to improve Dirt 5 lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Dirt 5 and enjoy!
Want to fix Dirt 5 lag spikes on PS4, Xbox One, PS5, or Xbox Series X/S? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Dirt 5 Lag?
The popularity of Dirt 5 is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing No Man’s Sky. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Dirt 5
One thing that will help everyone is increasing internet speed and lowering ping times. One of the best ways to do this is connecting your system up via LAN cable. It typically provides faster and better connections than WiFi. We understand that this is not possible for everyone, but this will help those who can. Another suggestion for those experiencing lag is to reduce the graphic quality of the game. What you sacrifice in visuals is normally made up for in performance. Sometimes the server is the cause of the problem. When this is the case, changing the times in which you play can be the solution.
Dirt 5 Server Locations
The publisher of Dirt 5 is Electronic Arts. The company hosts most of its titles using AWS. ExpressVPN has servers located very close to the Amazon Web Services.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Seattle
- Europe – London, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Dirt 5. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Processor – AMD Ryzen 3600, Intel Core i5 9600K, or better
- Memory – 16 GB RAM
- Video card – AMD Radeon 5700XT, NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti, or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Dirt 5 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our top pick for helping your fix lag. The service helps your decrease ping across many devices. ExpressVPN can help you whether you are on PC, Mac, Android, iOS, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Google Stadia, or GeForce Now. The service can be used at home or while traveling, stop laggy experiences, and protect your privacy. You can have ExpressVPN active on up to five devices at a time. The service can also be run through your router. There is even an app to assist you in setting it up. ExpressVPN will help you fix lag on any device.
We’re excited to share an exclusive discount on ExpressVPN for our readers. You can save up to 49% off a year of VPN and receive an extra 3 months of free VPN. Enjoy unlimited access to both their VPN network and MediaStreamer service. Save on your favorite games and reduce lag. Protect against DDoS attacks and unblock restrictions at school or work. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you will have a month to test their VPN and experience all the benefits of the service.