Diablo 3 is a blizzard hack and slash game. In it you need to fight your way through waves of enemies to gain new treasure. This includes equipment and items that can completely change your strategy. The classes are barbarian, wizard, demon hunter, monk, or witch doctor. Each role plays differently and they work together well. Playing the Diablo III with friends is fun, but lag can hurt your gaming experience. While some of this comes from the server, the rest of it is from your own connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, Xbox One, PS4, and Nintendo Switch.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Diablo 3
Here is the quickest way to improve Diablo 3 lag on PC or Mac with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Diablo 3 and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Diablo III Lag?
The popularity of Diablo III is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Diablo 3. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Diablo 3
Connecting your device through LAN cable will allow you to access faster speeds. If that isn’t possible you may want to set a separate WiFi network for gaming or prioritize your traffic. Want to see if the battle.net servers are down or others are having issues? You can look at Downdetector to see if others are having issues connecting to battle.net servers and playing their games. For more Daiblo news check out the Blizzard Twitter.
Let’s continue by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Diablo 3 Server Locations
Blizzard has not released the server locations for Diablo 3. We did find that they have a data base in Los Angeles. Outside of this, we have found that blizzard has throughout the world to host their games. We chose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try.
Here are some fast VPN server locations to choose when playing Diablo 3.
- United States- Washington DC, Houston, and Los Angles
- Europe- Frankfurt, Amsterdam, and London
- South America- Brazil
- Asia Pacific- Australia
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Diablo 3. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Operating system – Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor – Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHz, or better
- Memory – 4 GB RAM
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, ATI Radeon HD 4870, or better
- Operating system – macOS® 10.12 or the newest version
- Processor – Intel Core i3 or better
- Memory – 4 GB RAM
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, ATI Radeon HD 5670, or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Diablo 3 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN for gaming. There are a number of reasons including the ability to quickly change you’re IP address to be located in any of 160 cities across 94 countries. This is especially useful for purchasing games in other regions and unblocking restrictions. If you plan to play games at school or work then we highly recommend connecting to ExpressVPN to unblock any firewall restrictions. You can download the ExpressVPN app for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. Members can install the app on as many devices as you want. You can connect on up to 3 devices at a time. You will also have access to ExpressVPN MediaStreamer service which will let you switch DNS on a wide range of devices including game consoles (PS4, Xbox One, Switch), streaming media boxes, and smart TVs, and more.We’re excited to share an exclusive discount on ExpressVPN for our readers. You can save up to 49% off a year of VPN and receive an extra 3 months of free VPN. This will grant you unlimited access to both their VPN network and MediaStreamer service. Save on your favorite games, reduce lag, protect against DDoS attacks, and unblock restrictions at school or work. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you will have a month to test their VPN and experience all the benefits of the service.