Dead Island 2 takes place in Los Angeles where the cities have been over run by a zombie outbreak. In this FPS and action RPG you will need to slay zombies to survive. Play as one of the six Slayers: Jacob, Ryan, Amy, Carla, Dani, or Bruno. Each character has their own skills and playstyle. Along with this each is assigned to a different tarot cards. The features many fan favorite mechanics and weapons. Along with this, there are surprises set in store for new and old players alike. Those that want to play online can through the cross-play online co-op mode. However, many people have experience lag. One of the main causes is your connection to the server. In this post, we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Dead Island 2
Here is the quickest way to improve Dead Island 2 lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Dead Island 2 and enjoy!
Want to fix Dead Island 2 lag on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X. They also have a YouTube video to help Nintendo Switch users get set up.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Dead Island 2
When playing online with friends nothing is worse than lag. One of the best ways to reduce lag is strengthening your connection. Regardless of whether you are a PC or console player, increasing the stability and speed of your internet will help. One suggestion that we have is using a LAN cable connection when possible. Compared to WiFi, a wired connection gives faster and stronger speeds. We understand this option is not viable for all, but this may be a contributing factor. Another way to improve your connection is to reduce the other things on your network that are taking up bandwidth. Other applications and activities could be taking away from your game. We recommend that you close other browsers and applications so you can dedicate as much bandwidth to playing as possible.
Otherwise, let’s look at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server.
Dead Island 2 Server Locations
The developers, Dambuster Studios, has not released how they are hosting the game. However since Dead Island 2’s online mode co-op we believe that they are using p2p servers. If this is the case, you will want to connect to a VPN server location close to where the host is located. This will give your connection the most direct route possible. We have recommend specific VPN server locations based on the region you wish to play in.
Here are some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Washington DC or Los Angeles
- Europe – London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo
- South America – Sao Paulo
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Dead Island 2. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to try and be above these minimum system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 (64-bits) or newer
- Processor – AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, Intel Core i9-9900k, or better
- Memory – 10 GB RAM
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8192 MB), AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16384 VRAM), or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Dead Island 2 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is the best service for reducing ping times. A VPN will help you connect to different regions of the world and fix lag. It will also help you by masking your IP address. Professional gamers and streamers will benefit as you will be less vulnerable to DDoS attacks. ExpressVPN provides a kill switch, split tunneling, and DNS/IPv6 leak protection. A VPN will also give you a new IP from a region of your choosing. ExpressVPN has 160 server locations in 94 separate countries. With your new IP address, you can unblock games and play with friends internationally. ExpressVPN will help you reduce ping and protect your privacy.
ExpressVPN can help improve your ping and reduce lag in online games. It will also protect your data through encryption. ExpressVPN has an exclusive discount with our readers that you can take advantage of. You can get a full year of VPN for 49% off with an extra 3 months for free. You will be able to save on your favorite games. Unblock geo-restricted content and get around firewalls at work or school to play anywhere. ExpressVPN gives you a 30 day money back guarantee. You can test out the service for one month and see all the benefits it provides.