Dark Souls 3 is the ending to an excellent trilogy. Throughout the game you go around the world killing enemies, gathering equipment, and upgrading weapons. The world is large and Dark Souls 3 encourages exploration. The boss battles are some of the best moments in the Souls series, but they are extremely hard. One of the options for those having trouble is summoning other to help you.
Dark Souls III allows you to call up to 3 others to help you defeat bosses. Another online activity you can do is invade other peoples servers to fight each other. The online gameplay is fun, but lag can ruin your experience. The series is built on very hard gameplay that requires fast reactions. Lag can interrupt all of this and cause you to die. A lot of this is caused by your connection to the server. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Dark Souls 3
Here is the quickest way to improve Dark Souls III lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Dark Souls 3 and enjoy!
Want to fix Dark Souls lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Dark Souls III Lag?
The popularity of the Souls franchise is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Dark Souls 3. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Dark Souls 3
Both console and PC users can benefit from using a LAN cable. It is more reliable than connecting through your home network via WiFi. A LAN cable can also give you better speeds. We understand that this is not possible for all users, but just realize that using WiFi will reduce your speed to a degree.
Dark Souls 3 Server Locations
FromSoftware has not released the server locations they use for the game. However, they have released the different regions you can play in. These include Europe, Japan, and North America. Based off this we were able to choose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angles
- Canada – Toronto
- Europe- Frankfurt and London
- Asia Pacific – Tokyo
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Dark Souls III. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to be at or above these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 (64-bits) or newer
- Processor – Intel Core i7-3770, AMD FX-8350, or better
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, ATI Radeon R9 series, or better
- RAM – 8 GB
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Dark Souls 3 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our best choice for reducing lag. Lag is every gamers worst enemy. Nothing sucks more than terribly high ping and a laggy game. Luckily this does not have to happen. You can reduce your ping and improve your experience by using ExpressVPN. All you have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN is one of the best companies to pick because it has server locations across over 94 cities. Whether you want to play on foreign servers or game in the US, ExpressVPN has you covered. Elite gamers will also be happy to know that ExpressVPN will keep them protected from DDoS attacks by hiding their true IP. You will be able to game with less lag safely.
ExpressVPN has an exciting discount that is only offered to our users. You will be able to get 49% off a year of VPN with an extra 3 months added for free. This means you will be able to use the VPN and MediaStreamer service for over a year. If you are not satisfied, ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Play online with less lag on PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, and more. You will also be able to take advantage of the service by using as much bandwidth as needed. I hope ExpressVPN improves your gaming experience