Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is a competitive online FPS. The old game has a thriving community with new content always being added. The game was created in 2012 and is one of the most popular on Steam. CSGO is a very fun to play, but lag could make it less enjoyable. While some of this is caused by the game server, the rest is actually a result of your own connection to the game server. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, and Xbox 360.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in CSGO
Here is the quickest way to improve Counter-Strike: Global Offensive lag on PC, Mac, or Linux with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch CSGO and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS3 or Xbox 360? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Lag?
The popularity of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will compete against other players with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing CSGO. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in CSGO
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Server Locations
Valve has not published the locations of the game servers, but a user on Steam forum found the server locations. Based on this and other games we can recommend specific VPN servers locations based on the region you wish to play in.
Here are some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Atlanta, Seattle, Los Angeles
- Europe – London and Luxembourg
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game. You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7, Vista, XP, or later
- CPU – Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, AMD Phenom X3 8750, or better
- Video Card – 256 MB or better
- Memory – 2 GB
- Operating system – MacOS X 10.11 or better
- CPU – Intel Core Duo 2GHz or better
- Video Card – ATI Radeon HD 2400, NVidia 8600M, or better
- Memory – 2 GB
- Operating system – Ubuntu 12.04 or better
- CPU – Intel 2.8 GHz, AMD 2.8 GHz, or better
- Video Card – nVidia GeForce 8600, nVidia GeForce 9600GT, ATI Radeon HD2600, ATI Radeon HD3600, AMD Radeon HD2600, AMD Radeon HD3600, or better
- Memory – 4 GB
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN for reducing lag. It will help by allowing you to connect to any of the 160 different server locations across 94 countries. You will be able to reduce lag for practically any game you play online. All you have to do is connect to a location close to where your game is hosted. ExpressVPN allows you to reduce ping and make your overall experience better by allowing you full use of as much bandwidth as you need. You can easily change your location to play with others form around the world. You will also be able to have up to five connections active at a time. This will allow you to play a game in one location, while talking to friends under a different location on another device. ExpressVPN will help you reduce lag and unblock geo-restrictions.
ExpressVPN is an excellent service to use when gaming. They help you gain discounts and early access to new titles. ExpressVPN provides extra protection against DDoS attacks and reduces lag. All our readers will be happy to learn that we have an exclusive discount for you to use. ExpressVPN will give you 49% off a year of VPN and receive another 3 months of VPN for free. This is coupled with their 30 day money back guarantee so you can test out the service for a month and see how it can improve your online experience.