Call of Duty: Warzone is a free to play Battle Royale. In it you and your squad will fight to be the last team left standing out of more than 100 people. You need to find loot to help you survive. This loot includes guns, ammo, armor, gas masks, and more. Squads will have to work together to find materials and defeat the other teams. Season 5 is bringing a lot of new content. A member of the Shadow company will be joining the CoD game. More weapons and skins exclusive to this season will be added. A new battle pass is also releasing. This gives more rewards to those playing the game every day. Call of Duty: Warzone is really fun to play, but it does have some issues with lag. Some of the lag coming from the server, but the rest coming from your own connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS5, and Xbox Series X/S.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Warzone
Here is the quickest way to improve Call of Duty: Warzone lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Call of Duty: Warzone and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on Xbox One or PS4? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Call of Duty: Warzone Lag?
The popularity of the Call of Duty franchise is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Warzone. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Warzone
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Call of Duty: Warzone Server Locations
Activation has not released the server locations for the game. This being said, we do know a lot of the common locations other companies use to host their games. Based off other games we were able to choose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angles
- Europe- Frankfurt and London
- Asia Pacific – Tokyo, Singapore, or Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Call of Duty: Warzone. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor – Intel Core i5-2500K, AMD Ryzen R5 1600X, or better
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or better
- RAM: 16 GB
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Call of Duty: Warzone with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN to fix lag. They allow you to receive a superior gaming experience by reducing ping and protecting your information. You will be able to connect to any of the server locations in 94 countries. ExpressVPN allows you to be closer to your game server and lowers the latency. It will do so while protecting your IP address. You will appear as if you are actually from the location you are connecting to. It gives you a kill switch and protects against DDoS attacks, while playing. You can reduce lag and play safer with ExpressVPN.
We’re excited to share an exclusive discount on ExpressVPN for our readers. You can save up to 49% off a year of VPN and receive an extra 3 months of free VPN. Enjoy unlimited access to both their VPN network and MediaStreamer service. Save on your favorite games and reduce lag. Protect against DDoS attacks and unblock restrictions at school or work. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you will have a month to test their VPN and experience all the benefits of the service.