Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is the newest title in the franchise. The newest game will have another single-player campaign that will evaluate the player based on their performance and decisions. Multiplayer modes are adding back kill streaks and adding door breaching and night-vision. The newest version of Call of Duty is changing its multiplayer experience to make tactical gameplay more worth wild. Some Call of Duty games have had problems with lag in the past. You could also encounter lag while playing Modern Warfare. While some of the lag comes from the server end, some of it is coming from your connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Call of Duty
Here is the quickest way to improve Call of Duty: Modern Warfare lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Lag?
The popularity of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Call of Duty. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Call of Duty
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Server Locations
Activation has not released the server locations. From research we have found out that there are many US servers. We were not able to find the foreign servers, but based off other games we were able to choose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try. Here are some fast VPN server locations to choose when playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC, Miami, Houston, New York, and Los Angles
- Europe- Frankfurt and London
- Asia Pacific – Tokyo, Singapore, or Sydney
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor – Intel Core i7-7700K, AMD Ryzen 7 1700, or better
- Video card – 8 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, AMD Radeon R9 390, or better
- RAM: 12 GB
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our choice for fixing lag. All you will have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN has 160 server locations throughout the world for you to choose from. Gaming companies like Electronic Arts, Bethseda, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo use similar hosts. Some of the most popular hosts are Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS). ExpressVPN has servers located close to these data centers. This will give you a closer connection to the game and improve your experience. You will be able to reduce ping and fix lag by using ExpressVPN.
We’re excited to share an exclusive discount on ExpressVPN for our readers. You can save up to 49% off a year of VPN and receive an extra 3 months of free VPN. Enjoy unlimited access to both their VPN network and MediaStreamer service. Save on your favorite games and reduce lag. Protect against DDoS attacks and unblock restrictions at school or work. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee so you will have a month to test their VPN and experience all the benefits of the service.