Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is set to release on November 13, 2020. That’s right, the title will come out on Friday the 13th. As you might guess, the game takes place in the early 80’s during the height of the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union. You will act as a CIA officer in search of a Soviet spy. In doing so you can bet there will be plenty of action.
This will be the first CoD release for the next gen consoles. It is available for Windows, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S. Regardless of which platform you choose to play on, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will likely have some lag issues. The previous titles have had their fair share of server lag. We will show you how to remedy the issue with a VPN so you can enjoy faster gameplay.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Call of Duty
Here is the quickest way to improve CoD: Black Ops Cold War lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Lag?
The popularity of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will be competing with players in various regions with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Call of Duty. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Call of Duty
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Server Locations
Activision has not released the server locations. From research we have found out that there are many US servers. We were not able to find the foreign servers, but based off other games we were able to choose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try. Here are some fast VPN server locations to choose when playing Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.
Here is a list of the recommended VPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC, Miami, Houston, New York, and Los Angles
- Europe- Frankfurt and London
- Asia Pacific – Tokyo, Singapore, or Sydney
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor – Intel Core i7-7700K, AMD Ryzen 7 1700, or better
- Video card – 8 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, AMD Radeon R9 390, or better
- RAM: 12 GB
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN for reducing lag. It will help by allowing you to connect to any of the 160 different server locations across 94 countries. You will be able to reduce lag for practically any game you play online. All you have to do is connect to a location close to where your game is hosted. ExpressVPN allows you to reduce ping and make your overall experience better by allowing you full use of as much bandwidth as you need. You can easily change your location to play with others form around the world. You will also be able to have up to five connections active at a time. This will allow you to play a game in one location, while talking to friends under a different location on another device. ExpressVPN will help you reduce lag and unblock geo-restrictions.
ExpressVPN has an exciting exclusive discount of 49% off a year subscription of VPN with an extra 3 months for all our readers. You can play online with less lag and improved privacy. Take advantage of regional exclusives and play with friends internationally through the over 160 server locations. It is easy to use and available across a variety of devices. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. This gives you a full month to see how a VPN can help your gaming experience.