Borderlands 3 is the newest title in the Borderlands franchise released on September 13th, 2019. The game has you trying to go throughout the massive world and shooting your way to victory. You will shoot and loot in this game as a Vault Hunter. Along the way you will fight many bosses and enemies, but the two biggest threats are the Calypso Twins. You don’t have to do it alone because the online co-op mode allows you and your friends can play together. Online modes often give way to some lag that hurts your experience. Some of the lag you may be experiencing will come from their end, but the rest of it will come from your connection to the gaming server. In this post we will show you how to fix lag spikes and lower ping times with a VPN, including suggestions for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Google Stadia.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Borderlands 3
Here is the quickest way to improve Borderlands 3 lag on PC.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Borderland 3 and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4, Xbox One, or Google Stadia? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Borderland 3 Lag?
The popularity of borderlands 3 is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will play with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Borderlands 3. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Borderlands 3
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Borderlands 3 Server Locations
Though Gearbox has not announced if they are going to be hosting servers, we do have an idea based on how Borderlands 2 servers work. We believe they will similarly to Borderlands 2 use peer to peer servers, where one person is hosting. If this is the case then you will want to choose a location close to where the host is.
Here is a list of the recommended ExpressVPN server locations for each region.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angeles
- Europe – London, Frankfurt, Stockholm
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney
- South America – Sao Paulo
- China – Hong Kong
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Borderlands 3. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 10 64-bit or better
- Processor – Intel Core i7-2600, AMD Ryzen 7 1700, or better
- Memory – 12 GB RAM
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, AMD Radeon RX 570, or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Borderlands 3 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our favorite VPN to fix lag. They allow you to receive a superior gaming experience by reducing ping and protecting your information. You will be able to connect to any of the server locations in 94 countries. ExpressVPN allows you to be closer to your game server and lowers the latency. It will do so while protecting your IP address. You will appear as if you are actually from the location you are connecting to. It gives you a kill switch and protects against DDoS attacks, while playing. You can reduce lag and play safer with ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN has an exciting exclusive discount of 49% off a year subscription of VPN with an extra 3 months for all our readers. You can play online with less lag and improved privacy. Take advantage of regional exclusives and play with friends internationally through the over 160 server locations. It is easy to use and available across a variety of devices. ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. This gives you a full month to see how a VPN can help your gaming experience.