Arma 3 is an online military sandbox. The game has a large open world that gives you plenty of variety in terms of where and how you fight. Arma 3 has many vehicles and weapons in the base game, but the DLC adds even more. There are helicopters, tanks, jets, and more for you to play with. The single-player mode has you follow Ben Kerry, a soldier in the war. Arma 3 also has fun multiplayer modes like Defense and Seize. There are also many community game modes that bring new scenarios to Arma 3. Lag is an annoyance while gaming online. It can cause you to rubberband or even get kicked from the server. While some of this is caused by the server itself, a majority of the lag is caused by your own connection. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Mac, and Linux.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Arma 3
Here is the quickest way to improve Arma 3 Online lag on PC, Mac, and Linux.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Arma 3 and enjoy!
You can also use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer service for a faster experience.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your system.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your system to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Arma 3 Lag?
The popularity of Arma 3 is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Arma 3. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Arma 3
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Another recommendation that I would have is trying connect your device through LAN cable. It will provide a more consistent and stronger connection than WIFI. I understand this is not possible for all users, but just know that this may be a factor. Sometimes it is the server that you are playing on. I would recommend checking online to see if other users are having similar problems.
Arma 3 Server Locations
Bohemia Interactive has servers around the world. They also allow users to host their own games. This is excellent as ExpressVPN has servers located throughout the world. Based off these server locations we can recommend better game locations.
Here are some key VPN servers locations for ExpressVPN.
- United States – Washington DC and Los Angeles
- Europe – Luxembourg, Austria, London, Frankfurt
- Asia Pacific – Sydney, Singapore, and Tokyo
- South America – Chile, Sao Paulo, and Peru
- Africa- South Africa
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Arma 3. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7, 8, 10 or newer (64-bit)
- Processor – Intel Core i5-4460, AMD FX 4300, or better
- Memory – 8 GB RAM
- Video card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Arma 3 with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our choice for fixing lag. All you will have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN has 160 server locations throughout the world for you to choose from. Gaming companies like Electronic Arts, Bethseda, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo use similar hosts. Some of the most popular hosts are Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS). ExpressVPN has servers located close to these data centers. This will give you a closer connection to the game and improve your experience. You will be able to reduce ping and fix lag by using ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN has an exciting discount that is only offered to our users. You will be able to get 49% off a year of VPN with an extra 3 months added for free. This means you will be able to use the VPN and MediaStreamer service for over a year. If you are not satisfied, ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Play online with less lag on PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, and more. You will also be able to take advantage of the service by using as much bandwidth as needed. I hope ExpressVPN improves your gaming experience