Apex Legends is a new Battle Royale published by EA. The game is very popular and is played by people from throughout the world. In the game you and your squad compete to be the last ones alive. To do this you will have to work together and make sure you pick comparable characters. Apex Legends suffers from lag spikes. While some of this is on the server end, the rest of it comes from your own connection to the game. In this post we will teach you how to fix lag with a VPN. We will provide suggestions for PC, Xbox One, and PS4.
How to Fix Lag Spikes in Apex Legends
Here is the quickest way to improve Apex Legends lag on PC with a VPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Download the ExpressVPN app and connect to a server in the region you wish to play in.
- Test to see if your ping has lowered from your normal response time.
- Launch Apex Legends and enjoy!
Want to fix lag spikes on PS4 or Xbox One? If so follow these instructions.
- Register for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day money back guarantee)
- Log into Expressvpn.com and go to the “DNS Settings” tab.
- Click the button to register your IP address.
- You can also set dynamic DNS (more technical users)
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab
- Look for the “Set up on all your devices” section and click on the “see all devices” link.
- Click on the set up guide for your console. ExpressVPN MediaStreamer supports PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
- Make note of the IP address given in the set up box to the right of the screen.
- Set the DNS on your console to the IP given on the ExpressVPN site.
Why Does Apex Legends Lag?
The popularity of Apex Legends is both a blessing and a curse. As we mentioned, you will playing with users with differing Internet connection speeds. If you have performance issues when using the Internet in general then you can expect lag spikes when playing Apex Legends. The two main considerations for lag are your Internet speed and hardware. PC gamers will want to focus on CPU, memory, and graphics card. Everyone needs a fast Internet connection.
More Tips to Fix Lag Spikes in Apex Legends
Let’s start by looking at the best way to increase your Internet speed and lower ping times. In doing so you can expect less lag and a better gaming experience. We recommend testing a VPN to improve ping and reduce your lag. The key is to find a better route between your system and the game server. Your ISP isn’t focused on this issue as much as VPN providers. They know that it’s a competitive advantage if they can offer you a faster router to key locations. Most of the game developers host regional game servers in the same locations. This allows VPNs to offer better routes and will give you a boost in performance.
Apex Legends Server Locations
EA has not released the server locations for Apex Legends. We did find a discussion in which someone found the server locations. This means you will want to connect to a location near where the host lives. We chose some key ExpressVPN servers you can try.
Here are some fast VPN server locations to choose when playing Apex Legends.
- United States – Washington DC, Dallas, Salt Lake City, New York, and Seattle
- South America – Sao Paulo
- Europe- Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Belgium, and London
- Asia Pacific – Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney, Hong Kong, and Taiwan
System Requirements and Recommendations
This section is mainly for PC gamers. You will want to make sure you have the proper system specs for Apex Legends. The minimum requirements are often not enough to enjoy the game.
You will want to come as close as possible (or above) these recommended system specs.
- Operating system – Windows 7, 8, or 10 64-bit
- Processor – Intel i5 3570K or better
- Video card – Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, AMD Radeon R9 290, or better
Here is a little more information on using a VPN for gaming.
How to Play Apex Legends with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is our choice for fixing lag. All you will have to do is connect to a server location close to where the game is hosted. ExpressVPN has 160 server locations throughout the world for you to choose from. Gaming companies like Electronic Arts, Bethseda, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo use similar hosts. Some of the most popular hosts are Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS). ExpressVPN has servers located close to these data centers. This will give you a closer connection to the game and improve your experience. You will be able to reduce ping and fix lag by using ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN has an exciting discount that is only offered to our users. You will be able to get 49% off a year of VPN with an extra 3 months added for free. This means you will be able to use the VPN and MediaStreamer service for over a year. If you are not satisfied, ExpressVPN offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Play online with less lag on PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, and more. You will also be able to take advantage of the service by using as much bandwidth as needed. I hope ExpressVPN improves your gaming experience